- About Pitbulls
- How to Help
- Training & Resources
- Renting with Your Dog
- The Dog Owner Bible
- Help for Good Samaritans
- Keep'em Home Owner Support
- Spay/Neuter Resources
- Insurance Resources
- Favorite How-To Links
- Training Classes
- SF Bay Area Low Cost Shots
- Mission & Programs
So, you've been thinking about adopting a new friend?
Congratulations! As you may have gathered from reading through this website, having a pit bull type dog is not for the faint of heart. Breed discrimination is common and demands that you wear a thick skin when people criticize your choice of pet. Renters struggle with finding pit bull friendly housing and some insurance carriers won't cover them. What a project! Because we know how challenging it can be to navigate people's biases and misperceptions, we ask that you fulfill these requirements in order to adopt one of our dogs:
- Be at least 21 years old, we occasionally make exceptions for younger, rock solid applicants.
- Be Local to the SF Bay Area or, be willing to drive here to meet us in person. We rarely ship dogs.
- Fill Out an Application and impress us with your dog savvy!
- Show A Solid Reference (your veterinarian will do)
- Must Own or Have Landlord Approval Yes, we'll check.
- Be Interviewed by one of our Reps
- Show that you have a clear understanding of the challenges you'll face.
- Agree to a Home Visit
- Everyone in your Household needs to be ready for the adoption too. Yeah, we'll ask'em.
- Pay a $150 Adoption Donation Fee
- Sign a Legally Binding Adoption Contract
Note: We prefer to do opposite-sex placements when possible. Apartments/Townhouses are fine, but if you have a backyard, we want to see a solid fence and a safe environment.
Too Far from SF, CA? Don't give up! You have wonderful Pit Bull Rescue Resources near you. Check here for Out of State Rescue Resources
What is BR's adoption process like?
- We will send you an application at your request. Application, Please
- After we receive it, we'll contact you by phone or email with feedback within 1-3 days
- You may be invited to meet dogs in our Saturday class in Berkeley, or another location, depending
- At class, you'll be able to observe and you may be invited to participate with the dog
- If this is starting to feel like a match, we'll arrange a home visit with a knowledgable BR volunteer
- You may then be invited to take the dog home under our foster contract, and the dog will be marked "Adoption Pending" on websites.
- In most cases, foster/adopt homes bring the dog to the Saturday Pit Ed class at least twice a month, until all parties feel good about the match
- Once the dog is responding well to you and your family and pets, you'll sign an adoption contract, pay $150 and have your photo taken for the Happy Endings page!
- Your dog will be eligible for Pit Ed training classes and Canine Good Citizen (CGC) Prep classes - Free to you, of course.
- You'll be invited to attend various events, workshops, play sessions and other opportunities with your Ambassadog to socialize, learn, hob-nob and ENJOY.
Family pit bulls are worth their weight in gold, and part of your job as a responsible owner will be to demonstrate this fact as you live your life with your dog by your side. You'll want to keep your new dog well trained, well socialized, and always have him on a leash in public places. You'll learn how to talk to more people than you ever thought you would have to about the myths and hysteria surrounding pit bulls. In a sense you'll become part PR person, part educator, part dog training expert (if you're not already, that is!). By proudly owning and showing off your dog, you'll be making the world better for pit bull type dogs everywhere.
We recognize that this breed has suffered at the hands of irresponsible breeders and reckless dog owners. When poorly bred and/or seriously exploited pit bulls have shown up on hyped up news reports, it scares the daylights out of your Aunt Flo and the guy next door; convincing many that all pit bulls are the devil incarnate. Sheesh!
To counter this hysteria, BAD RAP is committed to finding wonderful family pets-in-the-making for our adoption program. We work to match these deserving dogs with loving and responsible adopters who have a bully tough desire to set the record straight. We look for dogs with highly desirable personalities: gushingly affectionate, eager to please, happy to be handled, ready to learn, well socialized and healthy. There seems to be no shortage of these great examples of APBT temperament. In fact, most local shelters are overflowing with pit bull superstars.
Our foster dogs are well socialized, house trained (unless they're young pups), spayed/neutered, given all necessary shots, microchipped, and given basic obedience training. They've been exposed to every setting imaginable - with all kinds of people including children, other animals, on leash on busy sidewalks and in the middle of crowds. Some amount of dog-dog intolerance is normal and acceptable, while human-directed aggression is never tolerated.
In return for all the dog screening and home screening, we can both feel confident that the dog you take home is a pet you're fully prepared to own. Our team will stay available to you for the life of your pet should any questions or concerns come up. And we will warmly welcome you into the wonderful BAD RAP Community of pit bull fans that live here by the bay. If this sounds like an adventure you're ready to commit to, we'd love to hear from you!